Faith is a gift that we must care for and nourish at all times
Interested in volunteering? Please call the Parish Office.
Religious Ed Classes:
May 1 & 2 was our last set of classes for this year. Thank you to all ~70 volunteers who have generously given of their valuable time to teach the Catholic faith. God bless you al! We will begin our last classes that week with a short May Crowning which will begin about 10 minutes after the start of each session. Children can bring a flower to offer Mary.
All quizzes and tests must be completed. This is a requirement for advancement to the next year’s level of classes. Students attending RE classes in grades 1 through 8 are expected to complete all homework (quizzes and tests) and then turn them in to the teachers for grading.
Registrations for 2022-2023 School Year:
All children are expected to successfully complete their current grade-level curriculum before registering for the upcoming school year. Religious Ed (RE) registration forms for St. John Parishioners for the next school year are available.
RE registration forms can be obtained by contacting the RE Office at [email protected].
Classes begin August 14th & 15th. The final deadline for all registrations is September 15th. of this year.
Grades K-8 for the upcoming year, we will offer the following 3 Sessions:
- Session A: Sunday 9:15am – 10:30am, with 1st year RCIC
- Session B: Sunday 11am – 12:15:pm, with 2nd year RCIC
- Session C: Monday 5pm – 6:15pm
High School grades 9-12 will have classes at these times:
- Sunday 11am – 12pm
- Monday 5pm – 6pm
Volunteers are needed to teach the following classes:
Session A (Sundays 9:15am to 10:30am): Grades 5 & RCIC
Session B (Sundays 11am to 12:15pm): Grades 1 & 3
Session C (Mondays 5pm to 6:15pm): Grade 4, 5, 6
Thanking you in advance for your willingness to share our faith with our children. FYI - RE Volunteers receive a tuition discount!
Inclement Weather and Cancellations
In case of inclement weather, please check your emails, the parish website at www.sje1.org.For Monday evening sessions, the RE program will follow Fauquier County Schools’ After School Cancellations.
- REMINDER: Again, this year because of Covid, all Service Hours are to be done at home. ALL paperwork is to be turned in to the Parish Office, not your teacher/catechist! Check the dates printed at the top of each page.
- The first 4 pages of your packet were due by 12/16/21.
- Your Parent Interview was due March 1st to the Parish Office.
- All Service Hour Logs and Journals were due before June 9th to the Parish Office.
- After completing your Spiritual Exercises due by June 9th ( Adoration/Holy Hour & Stations of the Cross)
(sign off in Red Confirmation Binder in the vestibule of the church)
- Due by JULY 15TH to the Parish Office:
- Completed Novena and Paperwork
- Completed Family Rosary (sign off in Red Confirmation Binder in the vestibule of the church)
- Saint Report
- Please make sure that a copy of your Baptismal Certificate is on file with the RE Office..
- Need to remember when paperwork is due or need a form? Just look to the links on the left.
Mark your calendars! We have a date for Confirmation:
Wednesday, April 26, 2023, beginning at 7pm.
More info to follow. Practice will be held the night before at 6pm beginning in Mercy Hall and finishing in the church.
Help shape the Church's Future
Do you want to do a good deed? Teach the young!
Do you want to perform a holy act? Teach the young!
Do you want to do a holy thing? Teach the young!
Truly, now and for the future, among holy things, this is the holiest. ~ Saint John Bosco
Serving as a classroom assistant or catechist is a wonderful opportunity to build up the Church by guiding children and young people on their faith-journey.
If you're interested in volunteering, with children in any capacity, you must first become fully compliant with the Diocese of Arlington through their Office of Protection of Children and Young People (OPCYP). St. John's Office Manager, Rosemary Coakley, is our Liasion for OPCYP. Her contact info is [email protected] or (540)347-2922 x202.
There are two parts involved with becoming compliant:
- First, all must have a background check. Here are the links.
https://secure4.arlingtondiocese.org/OPCYP_Application/Volunteer_Home.aspx The first form is the CPS form. It will need to be copied back to back and notarized and returned to Rosemary in the Parish Office. Rosemary is a notary if you need her to help. Just bring your license and please call ahead so she can make sure to be available.
- Second, all are required to attend a VIRTUS class which requires signing up ahead of time. Here is the link for the class: www.virtus.org Click on "First Time Registrant - Diocese of Arlington".
If you have any questions, please contact our OPCYP Liasion, Rosemary Coakley.
Thanks so much for volunteering at St. John's!
Prayer to St. Michael
Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou, O prince of the heavenly host,
by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.